Sodium is one of the most important electrolytes in the body. It is one of the essential ions found in the extracellular fluids. It plays a significant role in improving the contraction of muscles and operations of enzymes. It also plays a vital role in osmoregulation and maintaining the level of fluids within the body. Other benefits associated with sodium include improving the performance of the heart, the nervous system and enhancing the absorption of glucose.
Sodium is also needed in the regulation of blood, and its deficiency can lead to impairment of the body functions. It is an element which exists in different forms. Sodium as an electrolyte is used in regulation g the level of the body fluids as well as transmitting electrical impulses in your body. It is a mineral which can be used in different preparations and ways without affecting its properties since it is not affected by heat like the other minerals and vitamins.
It also plays a significant role in boosting the functionality of the nervous by regulating contractions of muscles. In short, sodium ids one of the vital components which should be included in your diet. Sodium ions are useful in regulating the cellular activities in the body. However, the intake or consumption of sodium should be regulated since it can lead to some health problems such as hypertension and stomach ulcers. Individuals suffering from edema and kidney problems are also discouraged from taking high amounts of sodium. You are supposed to take sodium supplements after sweating profusely or when you experience sunstroke.
You are recommended to take 2400mg of sodium per day. You are likely to suffer from sodium deficiency if do not have enough supply of sodium. The most affected part is your nervous system. This system is likely to shut down due to deficiency of sodium. The following are some of the major symptoms associated with sodium deficiency headache, vomiting, lethargy, weight loss, diarrhoea, weakness, muscular irritability, and dizziness.
However, you should note that excessive consumption of sodium can lead to swelling of your neural nervous and tissues, and high blood pressure. It can also lead to cerebral edema which is a very dangerous situation.
Sources of sodium
The following are the main sources common salt, cabbage, bananas, pulses, homemade soups, apples and egg yolks. Other sources include leafy vegetables, dried peas, baking soda, carrots, turnips, and salty meats.
- The following are some of the health benefits associated with sodium
- Water balance- it is used in regulating the level if fluids in the body
- Anti-ageing-Sodium is one of the dehydrating products used in making anti-ageing creams
- Eliminating muscle cramps- it plays a significant role in relaxation of the muscles by restoring the electrolytes levels in the body
- Eliminating excess carbon dioxide-Sodium ions are useful in removing the excess carbon dioxide which would accumulate in the body
- Improving the functionality of the brain- The human brain is very sensitive to changes in the levels of sodium. Lethargy and confusion manifest lack of sodium